Printing on Larger Paper

Post your bug reports here.
DRansdell

Printing on Larger Paper

Post by DRansdell »

I am comparing two files and wish to printout a report that shows the differences.

I am using a printer that has 11 x 17 paper available to print and have that as my default printer setting for that paper size.

Margins are set to zero as I wish to have as much of the data visible as possible without wrapping.

When I print, the printed area is in the middle of the 11 x 17 paper and is 8 x 10.5.

It seems like you are only printing to 8.5 x 11 paper despite having the larger paper available.

Is this something you can change?

David Ransdell

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: Printing on Larger Paper

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for report!
What do you see in PrintPreview window? Same picture as on paper?
Also, in File>Print... dialog, can you change paper in printer settings?

DRansdell

Post by DRansdell »

The print preview looks the same regardless of what the paper size says and it doesn't show a big border as the printout does when it finally prints. So I believe that it ignores the paper size when doing the preview and, of course, when printing.

I tried changing the paper size from within CompareIt and nothing changed on the printout.

Then I tried 1) closing CompareIt
2) changing my default paper size on the printer involved
3) re-opening CompareIt and nothing changed when I printed.

Thanks for looking at this...

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I don't have large printer at hand for testing, but working with virtual printer, like CutePDFWriter, I'm able to set paper size within CompareIt and it does affect result page size and layout properly.

Which version you are using, by the way?

DRansdell

Post by DRansdell »

I have Version 4.1.2171

I don't know what else to try. I have picked a different font to print (consolas which works well for programming) and set the font size to 6 to squeeze in as much data as possible, but it doesn't seem like that would cause this issue.

If I uncheck landscape, it does change to portrait, and changing the font size does change the preview and printing of data.

I am using a Xerox 7760DX. Its pretty recent and color.

I just tried another, bigger printer as well and it does work...

So, perhaps it was a problem with the memory of the printer, or some such thing.

The printers are using postscript drivers, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, I got a printout and can continue work. If you hadn't asked questions, I might not have tried the other printer and discovered a work-around.

Thanks

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

What about other apps, like notepad - they print normally taking full page?

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Hm, obviously yet another case of a kranky printerdriver :(
It's not just HP or Lexmark that release crappy drivers, Xerox is apparantly also one of those...

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, I wouldn't declare that if other applications are printing properly. Its easier to believe that my app conflicts with specific driver for whatever reason.