Comparing Folders with different names

Post your bug reports here.
rfossella

Comparing Folders with different names

Post by rfossella »

Is there a way to compare folders that have different names? More specifically, to ignore a folder prefix?

Here's my situation: trying to test Production folders/subfolders (files) with Test.
Production will list folders as:
Folder1
>Subfolder1
>> fileA
>> fileB
>Subfolder2
>> fileX
>> fileY

Test contains the same underlying files but has folders:
T_Folder1
>T_Subfolder1
>> fileA
>> fileB
>T_Subfolder2
>> fileX
>> fileY

I have set this up to run from a command line.

So, the question is, is there a filter of some kind that I can set up to ignore the T_. If not, has anyone had a similar situation with a work-around?

Thanks.
Robert

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: Comparing Folders with different names

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
No, SynchronizeIt currently does not have any filters that could help in such case. If you actually have only few root renamed folders, you could try to make another folder with hardlinks to SubfolderN.

rfossella

Post by rfossella »

Thanks for your reply. I have a work-around for this when running from a command line. I created DOS batch program that ensures the target and source folders have the same names -- that is -- I copy the test folders (with T_) to a temp location with the T_ removed. Since all other folder and file names are the same this works well for me.

If anyone else needs assistance w/this I can post or forward the bat files I created.

Rob

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

if your folders are on NTFS, I would recommend creating folder hardlinks. Then you can avoid copying.

rfossella

Post by rfossella »

I'm not sure that hard links would help me since the comparison folder(s) always change, although they will always include prefix - T_

The user is presented with prompt to enter folder location so I believe I am still forced to do a copy. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your help!

Robert