How about an ActiveX component?

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
pdacosta

How about an ActiveX component?

Post by pdacosta »

Any thoughts about encapsulating some of the wincmp functionality into an ActiveX component that can be called from scripts?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: How about an ActiveX component?

Post by grigsoft »

Which scripts do you mean? I'm planning to create dll/ActiveX for integration with other programs, basically for software developers, who wants to integrate comparison in their products.

pdacosta

Post by pdacosta »

I was thinking of stuff like VBScript, JavaScript or Perl as a stand-alone script (e.g. using "CreateObject" in a .VBS file). Sounds like you're doing what I'm after already.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

If you need this only to check whether files are identical or not, you can simply call wincmp3.exe with parameters. You can also generate report file, which you can read in script.

pdacosta

Post by pdacosta »

Thanks. I did know about the command-line idea. I'm just being lazy and looking to convince people at a company I work for to use a stand-alone tool like this rather than having to install a whole source control system just to get a diff component (a system which currently does not install on Windows 2003 :-)). All they really need is something that has a method that does a diff and returns the report text.

rw_simmons

Post by rw_simmons »

I've embedded the tool into my html change reports by calling it from javascript. But, you have to have your intranet security level set to allow unsigned scripting. In this fashion, the html change reports are created on the fly during test automation runs, with the changes reported only and a link that shells out the compare tool with the tested files already loaded.