Package confusion

Post your bug reports here
Spitfire_ch

Package confusion

Post by Spitfire_ch »

Hi again,

not really a bug report, but it probably still best fits in here.

Well, I've been using packages for a while to synchronize the computer at work with the one at home, which is very convenient. The way I've done it so far:

1) create package at home: Source = Folder, Target = Package -> duplicate
2) at the end of the day, synchronize package at work: Source = Folder, Target = Package -> synchronize
3) back at home: Source = Package, Target = Folder -> synchronize or backup

Is this they way how it's intended to be? Because today I realized a strange thing: I deleted numerous folders and files at work (or rather moved them to a subfolder), and consequently deleted the old file entries from the "home package".
When I compared the updated package with the folder at home (source = package, target = folder), it indicated correctly that numerous files have been deleted in the package, but it did not so for the folders, which I also deleted at work! If I click on "show same files" these folders simply don't show up. I tried this with "backup" and "synchronize" -> no difference.

BUT: When I use source = homefolder, target = package -> synchronize, then it suddenly correctly detects the deleted folders and lets me delete them in the home directory as well.

Why is that? I am not sure I understood the principle of packages correctly. Should I always use the package as target, and the folder as source? Why do are files recognized or not recognized depending on whether the package is source or target?

edit: This is only the case if I delete / move entire folders at work (or from the package). If I delete files within the folder, but don't delete the folder itself, then it will recognize the deleted files in each direction. So it could indeed be a bug. It is as if "matched only" was selected, but the option is unchecked.

Thank you very much for your advice

- spitfire

P.S. another strange thing I noticed:

If, to synchronize my folder at home, I use the updated package as target and the home folder as source, the "synchronize" action suggests to delete all the files in the home folder which I deleted from the package at work. Of course, this is what I want, I'm just confused it suggest to delete those files instead of copying them from the home folder to the package. Normally I never see the delete recommendation when using the synchronize action. So I come to think that somehow the actions work very differently with packages than with real folders. Is this intended that way?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

It is difficult to see what's wrong from description - check http://www.grigsoft.com/wndsync/help/so ... ctions.htm for actions description, check Backup action, if you use it.