No Unicode characters in file names and dates in SyncIt 3.3

Post your bug reports here
Dainis

No Unicode characters in file names and dates in SyncIt 3.3

Post by Dainis »

SynchronizeIt 3.3 (unicode) does not display the localized file dates correctly in the main file list view. In my case the system is using the Latvian regional settings and month names have accented Unicode characters. For example the June in Latvian is spelled as "Jūnijs" and in short form it should be represented as "Jūn.". But as SynchronizeIt is still using code pages in the [Tools]-[Customize]-[Font & Color] then with "Western" script the program is unable to display the 'ū' character which is out of western character range.

The same problem is with file names that include the Unicode characters. For example, if I create file with Latvian characters "āēūņščž.txt" and other with Russian ones "йцукенгшщзхъ.txt" then all characters in the file names are displayed as bars, because these code points are not available in the Western script.

Isn't it time to drop support for old OSes and finally make application fully Unicode aware? At least Unicode (wndsyncu.zip) version should actually work with it :)[/img]

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Are you sure you are using unicode version? Check Help>About box, is there "Unicode" written? Unicode version is true Unicode, "no strings attached", and should handle such names correctly.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Try selecting some Unicode font, like system UI MS Sans Serif.

Dainis

Post by Dainis »

Hello,

I was using Unicode version, but the problem was in used font. Previously I had "MS Sans Serif", but when changed to OpenType "Microsoft Sans Serif" the problem gone. The only complaint is that font change is not applied immediately - you have to restart the program to use new font.
BTW in the about dialog I can't find anything that mentions Unicode. Just version "3.3.1502".
Thanks for advice and great soft!

Dainis

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hm, if you don't have Unicode text in About, can you try this version again: http://www.grigsoft.com/wndsyncu.zip? Will you see it there?

Dainis

Post by Dainis »

In this new version I also can't find "Unicode" name.

First line: "Synchronize It!"
Second line: "Version 3.3.1504"
Third line "(C) Grig Software, 1997-2006". You should update year to 2007 :)
Fourth line "Registered to Dainis Jonitis"
Fifth line "Personal license"

Where "Unicode" word should be?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, what is your OS and screen resolution? It seems that text is not visible for some reason. Also, can you check exact wndsync.exe binary size?

Dainis

Post by Dainis »

WinXP Professional SP2 (English), all latest patches.
For 3.3.1504 the file length is 1765376 bytes.
With Spy++ I can see that text box indeed contains "Version 3.3.1504 Unicode" string.
Seems that problem is in too small textbox size. I have same problem on two computers. One uses 1680x1050, other 1024x768.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, Thank you!