3.3 remembers changes only if "run as administrator&quo

Post your bug reports here
rjf7r

3.3 remembers changes only if "run as administrator&quo

Post by rjf7r »

I just upgraded from 3.2 to 3.3 on Vista (Home Premium). Even though I run it from an administrator account, 3.3 remembers settings changes (sessions, etc) only if I "run as administrator". Otherwise it forgets them by the next running.

3.2 did not give me this problem.

Bob F

(I am a registered user.)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

3.2 was not Vista-ready, and Vista emulated saving to local folder by using special user folder (they call it virtualization).
As result you will hardly be able to find a file, where settings are stored. Version 3.3 was updated for Vista, and now it works as supposed - Vista requires you to store setings in registry - check this for details:
http://www.grigsoft.com/wndsync/help/so ... nstall.htm
see "Registry or Configuration file" section.

rjf7r

I guess I could live with it, but it's a pain

Post by rjf7r »

I guess I could live with this, but it's a pain to have to run Synchronize It! in a special way in order to make a persistent change to any setting -- even window size!

(I work for a software company, and our software does this on Vista without modification -- and we consider it a bug which we need to fix in a future release!)

At a minimum -- at least notify the user that changes are not being kept when running in non-administrator mode. I spent about a half hour before I realized that this was the reason why my settings were getting lost when I first went to 3.3 -- it is silent, and continues to behave at the UI like 3.2 until I exit.

Bob

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

You don't have to run it in this mode - just rename wndsync.ini file to wndsync.reg, and all setings will be transferred to registry in next run. It's also possible to choose registry for storage during setup.
But suggestion to notify user about this problem is good, I will add it.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Hm, I'd like to request a change so the settings can still be saved in an ini file, be it in some {commonappdata} directory (InnoSetup speak) , so I can still manage my configurations with a text-editor when copying large sets of settings.

TIA,
Ton

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, this should not be a problem, I will add it.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Great!, Thanks. :-D

Ton