Select-Bug

Post your bug reports here

Should the current behaviour be changed as mentioned in the first post?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:34 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 1

calvini

Select-Bug

Post by calvini »

If you select some files in a result-list and then left-click on a file not in the selected list, the new file is selected. This is expected behaviour.

But if you select some files in a result-list and then right-click on a file not in the selected list, the formerly selected files stay selected. If then you choose something from the context-menu, it isn't applied to the file you did the right-click on, but on the files that where selected before.

Maybe this is not a bug but a feature to prevent people from destroying their selection when right-clicking outside the list. But other application always change selection, either when a left- or a right-click is done outside the list (one - not good, but maybe representative - application is the file-explorer in windows).

For me it's annoying, as I often forget to destroy a selection manually by left-clicking outside of it and so use the context-menu on a formerly selected list instead of on the file I want it to be used on.

Maybe you can tell me, if this behaviour is intended or if it is really a bug? And if it is intended, what are the reasons for that?

Thanks in advance, great program!
Last edited by calvini on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, this was intended behaviour - without any specific reason apart from what you have mentioned. I have just never thought about it. Since Explorer handle it another way, probably you are right, I will change it.

Any thoughts from other forum readers?

calvini

Post by calvini »

Any hope for changing the behaviour even if I am the only one recognizing it?

Another argument: If a single file is selected, focus is changed with right-click.

And another suggestion related to this topic: After the context-menu is opened via right-click, you must left-click somewhere else to close it (right-click doesn't do anything). Expected behaviour (at least for me ;)) would be: When context-menu is open and another right-click is applied to any entry in the file-list, context-menu for that entry should pop up.

I've added a poll for the question, maybe this would lead to some expressions of opinion, hope this is okay for you?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, I will change this this, now when you mention it I find it non-intuitive too. As for right click when popup menu is open, it is working as it should (open another popup menu) at least on my main Win2K PC.

calvini

Post by calvini »

grigsoft wrote:As for right click when popup menu is open, it is working as it should (open another popup menu) at least on my main Win2K PC.
Not for me with 3.3.1499 on Win98SE - maybe it was fixed unintentionally in a later release ;)?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, this is by design - I have not yet decided how to do it. I'm using size to copy - that is if file is to be copied to the left, I'm using right side.