Creates compress folders when source is not compressed

Post your bug reports here
LanaiLizard

Creates compress folders when source is not compressed

Post by LanaiLizard »

I was using Synchronize It to copy all my files from a folder on a Windows Home Server system to a folder on my local PC using the "backup" option. Essentially just copying all the files, including folders, from the Windows Home Server to the PC. The trouble is all the folders and files that Synchronize It created on the local PC were compressed for some reason and I'm not sure why.

The server folders do not have the compression bit set nor does the parent folder on the local PC that these folders were created in. So I am at a loss as to what triggered this. I don't see any Synchronize It options that might be related to this either that controls whether the extended attributes are used or not.

I use Synchronize It all the time and have never noticed this behavior before. The differences I can think of this time is I am going FROM Windows Home Server to a Windows 7 32-bit PC (the past has usually been using Windows XP) so I'm not sure if WHS or Win7 are doing something different now that might cause this.

I am using SynchIt V3.5.1699 and a Windows 7 32-bit PC.

Any ideas?

LanaiLizard

Re: Creates compress folders when source is not compressed

Post by LanaiLizard »

The other thing that happened that may have been a trigger was my wireless network connection dropped out during the initial copy and I had to restart it. I can't be for sure but I don't think the initial copy created the compressed folders but they showed up after the restarted synch.

Unless someone else has seen this problem too I'm not sure there is enough data to pursue this because now the problem has gone away again. It has happened several times before but I can't nail down a pattern of events.

I'll post back if I can repeatedly reproduce the issue.

LanaiLizard

Post by LanaiLizard »

Ok, it is related to a re-synch after a broken network connection in my case. This is the scenario that seems to cause Synchronize It to set the "compressed" attribute on the folders and files being copied:

I am synchronizing two folders, one local and one located on another machine on my netowrk. In this case the local folder is empty to start with so I end up simply copying files from the remote folder to the local one.

If during the initial synch something happens (like a broken network connection) which causes errors to be reported for a set of files so you end up with lots of files with errors stating that they did not get copied. Then you establish a good network connection again and just hit the "Synhronize" button which starts the synch process going redoing all the files that didn't get copied the first time because of the lost network connection just like it should and you would expect. Note that I did not "rescan" the two folders, I just hit the "Synchronize" button. The problem is the files that get copied during this synch operation are created in the local folder with the "Compressed" attribute set!

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, this sounds strange. If you create file manually at that folder - it will be created normally, without "compressed" attributed?

LanaiLizard

Post by LanaiLizard »

It is very strange but yes, any file or folder manually created in the target or local folder is "normal".

This is a new Windows 7 Ultimate retail build with empty Document, Music, Pictures and Videos folders. I was using Synchronize It to populate those folders with my files sitting on a Windows Home Server box. My first thought was that my local parent folders mentioned above (Document, Music, etc.) had gotten tagged with the "compressed" attribute somehow but that was not the case. Plus this last time I noticed that the files copied before the network error were not compressed, only the files copied during the "resync" copy without a re-scan ended up compressed.

I also double checked the files on the server to make sure they did not have any "compressed" attributes on them either. These files were not compressed on their original source machine before I copied them to the server and I used Synchronize It to do that copy so if I had found otherwise that would have just moved the issue up the chain. But the server files look "normal" and the local parent folders look "normal" as well.

LanaiLizard

Post by LanaiLizard »

Just an update on this issue.

Using SynchronizeIt V3.5.1699 to copy files from a network drive to a local USB drive. Only one folder is involved and during the copy my wireless connection fails due to some bug in the wireless driver but I get the following error from SynchronizeIt:

"1 error(s) : MVI_7092.MOV : The specified network name is no longer available"

I hit "Cancel" after the network failure otherwise I would have gotten errors for all the remaining files to be copied. This is expected but the interesting thing is the parent folder of the file being copied on the target drive is now flagged as a compressed folder. So any further copying to this destination will result in compressed files as noted in prior posts.

So it isn't that the files are being compressed on any subsequent copies by SynchronizeIt but it is the setting of the compression bit on the target's parent folder that is the trouble. In this case I was synching network drive folder "P:" with local USB drive "G:\Backup\Photos". The files diffs that I was copying were "P:\D10\2011-07" to local USB drive folder of the same name. When the "MVI_7092.MOV" file failed to copy the "2011-07" folder was marked as a compressed folder on the USB drive. The files already in this folder remain uncompressed but any new files copied into this folder will be compressed of course.

I know this behavior sounds strange but I thought I would pass along this more specific info in case it might be of use.