Open containing folder

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
EeOe

Open containing folder

Post by EeOe »

Open containing folder option in the file right-click menu would be great. I often want to take a look in the folder where specific file is. :)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Normally it should be possible to configure tool for explorer.exe and {SourceFolder} as parameter to open folder. However it doesn't seem to work, I have to check it.

EeOe

Post by EeOe »

My friend showed me a neat way to replicate the "Open containing folder" feature exatly like in windows search. Others might find this useful too. :D

Greate new user tool with settings like this:
Name: Open containing folder
Command: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Parameters: /select,"{$ActivePath}"

calvini

Post by calvini »

Nice thing, as I am using "/n,/e,{$ActiveFolder}" as Parameter for a long time (test it, will work as well, giving you a slightly different Explorer-Window) - and I just logged in to ask about a related bug:

When SynchIt finds a file only on one side, the {$ActiveFolder}-Placeholder doesn't work on the other side. E. g. I am comparing "S:\path1" against "T:\path1", having a file "T:\path1\path2\foo.bar", not existing on S:. SynchIt shows this up correctly with the file only on the right side of the panel and the suggested action to copy it to S: (left side). When rightclicking on the left side of the panel and choosing the mentioned tool, not "S:\path1\path2" is opened (as I would expect) but "T:\path1\path2". Any ideas about that?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, actually. The problem is when file is only on one side, you can not make active second side at all - you can see this by bold text. You can click on other side, but side with file will remain active.

brahman

Post by brahman »

Hi,

a similar technique can be used by users of Total Commander to open the file in bold under a new tab in TC:

In Options / User Tools add an entry "TotCmd Left Bold Path" or similar with

Command: %Commander_path%\TOTALCMD.EXE
Parameters: /O /T /L={$ActiveFolder}

Since I am calling SI from the TC icon bar all the time, I have used the %Commander_path% variable. If you don't do that, replace it with the TC path. Using the variable has the advantage of the setup working on a USB stick too.

I have also added a similar item called "TotCmd Right Bold Path" where I replaced the "/L" with "/R". This way I can have one side opened in TC on the right side and the other folder on the left side for better comparison.

No new instance of TC will be started if it is already open in the background (/O). The tabs currently opened in TC will be maintained and new tabs opened (/T).

I have found this setup convenient and hope it helps.

I think the great advice in this thread of my fellow posters belongs into a "tips and tricks" section on the web site.

There is a section about using TC with SI but it is almost impossible to find. Adding "tips and tricks" or "FAQ" or whatever to the "Home" navigation bar would make these infos much more accessible to a potential or current customer :).

Regards,

Brahman