Volume Names and renamed files

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
JPG

Volume Names and renamed files

Post by JPG »

Is it possible to synchronize by volume name. I have a few pen drives I keep for different uses and would like the program to recognise the individual drive, not just where it is mounted.

Also is there a way for the program to recognise when a file name has been renamed, and offer the appropriate action, ---- rename the sync file.

Thanks

JPG

Post by JPG »

grigsoft wrote:Jon, do you mean you may have different drives connected at the same time, and when you run a job it should automatically find which drive to use for it?

Renaming is not currently catched - but I will think about it. If it is true renaming (without modification afterwards) it can be catched with history files usage, wih some additional work.
Igor.
I will try to explain this a different way.

If I use these Pen Drives in the same usb port ( at different times) they would all be recognised ( for example) by their drive letter. (S:)
Pen Drive 1 name Photos1:
Pen Drive 1 name Photos2:
Pen Drive 2 name Files1:
Pen Drive 3 name Files2:

If I run a project to do all my backups of pen drives at (S:) I thought it would be a good feature if the program would read the name (Photos1:)
and sync it. Of course sync could then just error report the other three Pen Drives.

second question.

catching renamed files is a feature of Microsofts free sync program. It was the only feature I liked about it, but one that is missing here. I don't know how it recognised the file name change.
Thanks very much for the reply.
Jon

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I think maybe you will like my scheduler, which can get job running automatically when you connect disk. I will try to work out using volume name for sync.
And more closely work with rename syncing.

JPG

Post by JPG »

grigsoft wrote:I think maybe you will like my scheduler, which can get job running automatically when you connect disk. I will try to work out using volume name for sync.
And more closely work with rename syncing.
Hi Igor, has there been any progress in this matter.
Jon

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Unfortunately these 2 years almost didn't move progress for this feature. But I'm working on it right now.

JPG

Post by JPG »

Thanks,
The possibility of using the volume name or/and the volume serial number to identify a drive, is a great advantage for removable drives.
Jon

JPG

Re: Volume Names and renamed files

Post by JPG »

Jon Graef wrote:Is it possible to synchronize by volume name. I have a few pen drives I keep for different uses and would like the program to recognise the individual drive, not just where it is mounted.

Also is there a way for the program to recognise when a file name has been renamed, and offer the appropriate action, ---- rename the sync file.

Thanks
Igor, thanks very much for finally finding the time to implement this very good feature. To be honest the last 2 years have passed so fast that I did not realize that it was so long ago that I asked if you could do this feature. Well done!!
Jon