Delete left, Delete right, Delete both

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
Spitfire_ch

Delete left, Delete right, Delete both

Post by Spitfire_ch »

Hi,

since I finally managed to get Synchronize It working with Total Commander, another suggestion came up:

when fiddling with Total Commanders "Synchronize Directories", I discovered a very useful option, especially when dealing with identical files. Right clicking an entry not only offers you to delete the file (both files), but you can choose whether to delete only the files on the left, only the files on the right or both files.

This is extremely useful when you want to verify whether all files have been properly added to a target folder or archive, and if that's the case, want to delete all identical files from the source folder.

Would it be possible to add this functionality to Synchronize it? Basically, all it would need is to add two more context menus below "delete":

- Delete in Source Folder only
- Delete in Target Folder only

Thank you very much

- spitfire

brahman

Post by brahman »

As a not elegant work around, you can make a batch file del.bat with one line in it: "del %1".

Then make two Tools entries: Delete Left and Delete Right, sending {SourcePath} and {TargetPath} respectively to del.bat.

Not elegant, because the file gets deleted, but the deletion does not show up in SI! preview window. Hard coding would be preferable, of course.

For the improved use of the tools feature, it would be very nice if Igor could implement a way to RESCAN (update) single folders after an external tools operation. This way - in a lengthy synch operation - it would save a lot of time and resources. :!:

Regards,

Brahamn

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, rescanning single folder will be usable. But I always wanted to avoid adding multiple file operations in WndSync - it's not a file manager replacement after all. And adding more rarely used commands will confuse users. Maybe I will introduce some options to check which commands to see in menu.

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

Thanks for the suggestion, brahman!

As for simplicity of using ... there is always the option of adding the choice between an advanced and a simple interface.

Regards
- spitfire

gkiers

Post by gkiers »

Hi spitfire

If you want to check for identical files and (automatically) delete them from the one place (folder) while keeping them on the other (folder), you'll find the free CloneSpy usefull for this

http://www.clonespy.com

g

brahman

Post by brahman »

@gkiers:

Have you tried Duplicate Cleaner (http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk).

I found it to be very mature and the hard link facility is very solid.

Their other program "Text Crawler" (multi file text replace) is also great.

Spitfire_ch

Post by Spitfire_ch »

Thanks for the hints. So far I've been using NoClone for this task due to its hardlink ability. Support there is a bit slow, though. So it's good to see there are also other tools doing the same trick!

Still, I think, it would be a nice addition for synchronize it. This does not involve identifying identical files with different names. Just what it does already when you display equal files, with the little addition that you could choose to delete them on one side by using the context menu or whatever. The ability is already here, all that lacks is the option to delete the files on one side only.

Regards
- spit