Handling of Empty Flders

Post your new features ideas and suggestions here.
hanness

Handling of Empty Flders

Post by hanness »

I'm just trying out Syncronize It! for the first time so if I'm missing something please let me know what I'm doing wrong!

I'd like to be able to sync a source and destination in one pass, making the destination an exact copy of the source complete with handling of empty folders. Right now it looks like this requires two passes.

For example, say that I have a Directory called Dir1. Under that directory I have a subdirectory called SubDir1. Finally, SubDir1 contains one file.

Assume that I have a directory called Dir2 that I've exactly duplicated this to. Now, on the source, I delete SubDir1 and all of its contents. If I run Syncronize It! then after the run the SubDir1 will still exist on the destination. Yes, it will be empty, but I want it gone just as it is on the source. To accomplish this, I need to run Syncronize It! a second time. Then it will delete the now empty folder. Note that this happens even with the option to Handle Empty Folders enabled.

If there was an option to better handle empty folders or even to automatically kick of a second pass after the first, that would be extremly helpful. Of course, if anyone can suggest another way, I'd be happy to try it.

- Hannes

hanness

Post by hanness »

A follow up:

If I choose the option "Delete folders, if all files were deleted" then it will delete the empty folder, however, that causes anoher issue. In the event that I delete all files fro a folder but leave the folder in place on the source, the folder gets deleted on the destination. It takes a second pass to copy the empty folder back to the destination again!

Either way, I end up running two passes, which a really huge directory structure can take a while.

- Hannes

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
Sorry, I have missed your post. In fact you are right, currently Synchronize It! is not able to handle this situation correctly in one pass. I have to change this.