Magic Mail - maintenance ?

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
brente_de

Magic Mail - maintenance ?

Post by brente_de »

Hi Igor Green,
I just started to use MMM3 and found already some problems for which I could not find FAQs or Forum posts :lol: :
- I can import my mailbox accounts from Outlook Express only but not from Outlook
- the imported mailbox is reported as "no such domain", even though it exists since long time
- the links in Help/About.../Version/Guestbook/Author do not work (Cannot find server)

Is that due to lack of maintenance or do I have to make special settings with my WIN XP ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. (editing this post)
- Another mailbox was reported with "wrong password", even though the password was correct
I experimented a lot and found following solutions for the mailbox checking problems: it seems that some mailboxes are not satisfied with the pure "user name". These servers need the complete mail address as user name. The same applies to the error message "wrong password". After entering the full mail address instead of the user name, it worked.
I think that both error messages do not help the user !

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Helllo,
1. Yes, it does not import from Outlook, as well as from dozen other mail clients. The reason is simple - I don't have outlook for testing. But, since this is open-source product, if someone will bother to send me description of how settings are stored, or create a code to handle it, I will gladly add it to the project.
2. Which domain is that? I assume MMM could fail to export some values correcty - just compare your settings in OE. If you haven't exported this account settings, make sure you are using correct server - actual POP3 server is usually different from domain (ex. pop3.gmx.net, not just gmx.net).

3. Geeba.org was the site of original MMM author. It goes offline sometimes. If it will not appear back, probably I will delete all links. Now you can use lnks from SF.NET page - about new home.

4. Settings of individual mail servers are just beyond my control. Servers that require full address (like gmx.net) are declaring it in description of POP3 client configuration. All error messages MMM displays are actual return from server - it does not change anything.

brente_de

Post by brente_de »

Thanks for reply.
The strange thing was that OE and Outlook had no problems with the mail account settings, but MMM3 had. Maybe MMM3 needs in some cases other settings than other POP collecting programs.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

If this is some free mail service, let me know - I will check what could be wrong there.