repetitive edits to a large number of files

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
mdaskalos

repetitive edits to a large number of files

Post by mdaskalos »

I need to make the same edit to a large number of text files (Files generated by another program, all of which require the same edit to be properly functional by another program.

Is there a way to automate this process with CompareIt? I am fairly handy with DOS, for doing this with a batch file at a command line.

I tried a VB macro in Excel, which worked, except for the "Excel" part - a large number of the lines in these files start with commas - Excel put quotes around these lines, which is problematic.

many thanks,

mdaskalos

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, CompareIt would not help you. Probably general-purpose Search and replace in files tool would help?

mdaskalos

Post by mdaskalos »

grigsoft wrote:No, CompareIt would not help you. Probably general-purpose Search and replace in files tool would help?
I suppose it might, if there is a command line way (or some other way to make it act on many files at once) to use it. If not, CompareIt is probably still my best bet, as it is a contiguous block of lines very near the end of the file I have to replace, easy to find. I just don't want to have to do it by hand several hundred times per week.

Are there any examples of these search and replace utilies toward which you can steer me?

thanks,
mdaskalos

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

I use ReplaceEm (http://www.orbit.org/replace/) occasionaly. My usage is limited to selecting multiple files and doing massive replace - this requires just few UI steps. Probably the task can be stored and repeated later quicker.

mdaskalos

Post by mdaskalos »

Found a find/replace tool. Job done.

Thanks