Running a Project only syncs first Session

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
chazcon

Running a Project only syncs first Session

Post by chazcon »

I love the new version of SynchronizeIt!, running 3.3.1499.

But the old version would check all the Sessions included in a Project and sync everything correctly (those terms were not in use with the old version but the functionality was the same).

The new version will only sync the first Session, and I have to run the Project again to sync the next Session.

Let me explain with an example:

SessionA syncs G:\misc to C:\misc using Update action
SessionB syncs C:\misc to X:\misc using Update action
ProjectA includes SessionA and SessionB

When I run ProjectA it only syncs SessionA on the first pass (provided there is changed data of course)

I then have to run ProjectA again, and on the second pass it will sync SessionB. It's rather a pain, especially if you have many Sessions in a Project.

The old version of SyncIt! would sync SessionA and then SessionB when I ran ProjectA. Am I missing something in the settings? I've gone over and over the settings. Why would this handy feature have been deprecated when the new version was written? I will probably go back to the old version if this is the way the new version functions.

Thank you for your time.

-c

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, of course Project should sync all Sessions within - that is what is it for. In your case this must be a bug of some kind. What if you run your project with UI, will you see files from 2nd session listed but not copied? G:, C:, X: are all local drives I believe?
Could this be that C:\misc and x:\misc are same, and only altering c:\misc on first step results in some files need to be copied over to x:\misc?

chazcon

Post by chazcon »

grigsoft wrote: Could this be that C:\misc and x:\misc are same, and only altering c:\misc on first step results in some files need to be copied over to x:\misc?
Yes of course this is exactly what is happening. But you see with the old version, it must have checked for file differences at the end of each Session, and the new version checks for file differences only at the start of the Project.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In fact I don't even remember that it was working this way, and at the moment I seriously doubt it. I have check this :)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Oh, you must be talking about automatic mode? Because in UI old version behaves identically. Yes, probably you are right - old version processed first sessions, then comes to next one. New version will make full files list first.

chazcon

Post by chazcon »

Any plans to change this back to the original functionality in a future release? Because you can see how useful that old feature is.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Sorry, I doubt this. At least this will ,make program behave differently in UI and auto mode. Maybe I will add this as option for auto mode, though.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Hm,

If the projects are all (most) like this, with an intermediate (secondary) storage location that is then updated to a tertiary storage, I'd suggest to update from primairy storage to secondary and tertiary storage, to avoid any possible time-differences when updating from say, a Linux based NAS, to local NTFS to another Linux based Samba storage (like NAS). There are likely to be timedifferences between completely equal files, if this scenario is used.

If this means to change or add some projects/sessions, then I'd go for that, as adding another option in SI! brings in a new opening for bugs or unexpected behavour...

HTH
Ton