Comparing file contents when filenames are not equal

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
bnc1

Comparing file contents when filenames are not equal

Post by bnc1 »

Greetings

I have been playing with Synchronize It and Compare It without much success. My problem is this. I want to compare all the txt files between 2 folders. I need to compare only the file contents not the filenames.
When done I would ideally get some kind of report telling me which filenames in folder 1 have the same content (but most likely different filenames !) as any file in folder 2 ??

Any help or feedback is appreciated

:)

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

You could sort the files based on size, and compare those that are in close range of each other. Probably need some script to do the sorting and selecting though.
Another posibility would be to randomly (based on a mind-reader ofcourse) select 2 files and just hope for them to be somewhat equal ;-)

HTBOSH
/Ton

( LOL )

bnc1

Post by bnc1 »

All the files are the same size :(

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

That's just wrong tools for your task. What you need is any duplicate finder - there are many such tools, including freeware. There is even built-in tool in TotalCommander for that.

Michael84

Post by Michael84 »

grigsoft wrote:That's just wrong tools for your task. What you need is any duplicate finder - there are many such tools, including freeware. There is even built-in tool in TotalCommander for that.
Or better is this duplicate file finder. It has many functions and user-friendly interface.

JPG

Post by JPG »

Michael84 wrote:
grigsoft wrote:That's just wrong tools for your task. What you need is any duplicate finder - there are many such tools, including freeware. There is even built-in tool in TotalCommander for that.
Or better is this duplicate file finder. It has many functions and user-friendly interface.

Hi, another FREE program is Clonespy. www.clonespy.com

Jon