RegEx on multiple files

Do you have anything to share with other users? Your opinions about our programs, suggestions for future products - everything goes here.
rfossella

RegEx on multiple files

Post by rfossella »

Hi,

I have implemented several Regular Expressions (RE) in CompareIt for a single file comparison - and this works
e.g I am ignoring anything with DATE: or RUN:

My question is, can I compare two folders of files (using CompareIt or SynchronizeIt) using regular expressions? Can I do it from a command line?

I tried 'Compare Folders' from CompareIt but it does not apply the REs.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
Rob

grigsoft
Site Admin

Re: RegEx on multiple files

Post by grigsoft »

So you want to compare several files in folders, and in each file use same regexp rules? In fact CompareIt should do this automatically, if this is set in options. I will recheck this.

rfossella

Post by rfossella »

So you want to compare several files in folders, and in each file use same regexp rules? In fact CompareIt should do this automatically, if this is set in options. I will recheck this.
Yes, that's exactly what I need to fulfill a requirement. I have tried to run comparison on folders of files, but the RegEx are not applied. Running single file compare in the UI works fine.

Thanks!
Rob

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Afaik, Synchronize It! doesn't automagically use Compare It! for file(content)-comparison. Unless that has recently changed?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

CompareIt can generate reports on multiple files itself.

rfossella

Post by rfossella »

I was able to run CompareIt against folders using a new Profile that included Regular Expressions, but ONLY from a command line - e.g.
"C:\Program Files\Compare It!\wincmp3.exe" "C:\temp\rpts1" "C:\temp\rpts2" /R /m "*.htm" /G:NCWEZ /cmp:MyNewProfile c:\reports\

Running from the Command Line proved successful however, when I tried to run the same folders Comparison from the UI - i.e. File>Compare Folders... this did not work correctly as I got reports that did not apply RE.

What I did for the latter was follow the CompareIt docs that stated to create a File Filter that used the my new Profile in the 'Compare As' dropdown.

Any ideas why this is not working in the UI?

I can send screen snapshots of my process.

Thanks.
Robert

rfossella

Post by rfossella »

Is there a way to apply the regular expression filters used in CompareIt inside SynchonizeIt. It would be useful to reuse them.

Robert

rfossella

Post by rfossella »

Some further confusion on the folder comparisons in CompareIt within commandline.

I have two sets of 5 files within folders - each corresponding file contains different date text. I am not including any profile i.e. no /cmp: option.

When I run the compare I'm expecting to see all 5 files reported as different, however, only the first file is marked as different. All others are ignored and/or report as identical.

my commandline is:
wincmp3.exe "C:\PROD/docs" "C:\TEST/docs" /R /m "*.htm" /G:NCWXEZ C:\myReports

Again. I'd expect 5 reports to be generated indicating diffs.

Missing something?

Thanks.
Rob

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

As for last question, last used comparison profile will be used. if it "date+size", and size\date is same, files will be skipped.