How does SI handle copy scenar and corrupt files internally?

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
brahman

How does SI handle copy scenar and corrupt files internally?

Post by brahman »

Hi Igor, :)

could you tell us how SI handles corrupt files internally?

Can we have more options/parameters on this, f.e. how many times SI tries to read a corrupt file and to f.e. skip the file immediately if there is a problem and not trying to copy and then when we synch again on the problem files to change this options and do many read attempts?

Does SI use the standard windows explorer method for copying or its own routine?

Does SI check if source and target are on different drives or same drives and adjusts buffers accordingly? Or could we also tell SI that in options (like Total Commander f.e.).

I would like to know these things so that I can decide if

a.) I can use SI on drives that show problems and
b.) to determine the speed of SI in big copy projects, since it does not give a MB/sec. reading (which may be useful to add).

I know many questions, but they are useful to know if and how one can use this great and versatile program and may open open up a few new uses.

Kind regards,

Brahman

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Currently Synchronize It! uses standard explorer api calls to copy files, without any attempts to retry on problems.
I'm planning to add Mb/s indicators in near future.

brahman

Post by brahman »

Thank you.

But it skips over problem files and does not get stuck on them like most oher programs using standard explorer api.

Regards,

Brahman

brahman

Post by brahman »

And the Windows Explorer copy method used by SI is usually faster than proprietary copy method when synching between different drives on different cables. Proprietary methods only seem to have an advantage when copying to the same drive or drives on the same cable.

Regards,

Brahman