Synchronize It! 3.0

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.

Do you like new interface of SI 3.0?

Yes, it is better than old one
80%
It is not bad, but I was expecting more
13%
No, I will stick with the old version
7%

Total votes: 15

grigsoft
Site Admin

Synchronize It! 3.0

Post by grigsoft »

We are glad to present you new Synchronize It! version 3.0. This is not final version, file copy function is disabled so you can not really work with it (and it would not harm you in any way). What we would like you to test is new interface. We have tried to make it more clear and straightforward, while preserving old "single-screen" setup idea.
So if you have several minutes time, please download this version and have a look:
http://www.grigsoft.com/winsync3b.zip (400K).
What is implemented:
- New interface for start dialog and file list;
- Built-in zip support;
- Sessions;

What is not yet implemented:
- support for ftp and other protocols;
- scheduler;
- command line;
- and many more.

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

This is really hard for me. You probably won't like my answer.

I like the older interface better. It just seems like this new GUI, is not quite as mouse friendly as the older version. I am suggesting updating the OLDER GUI with the NEWER ICONS and STYLE.

Otherwise, users, may in fact, prefer to stay with the older version. I hope you get more feedback from others about this.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Atomhrt,
What do you mean by not "mouse friendly"? I thought it could be not so keyboard friendly, but generally you can do most operations with ledd mouse clicks, than it was before.
And don't worry about my reaction - interface is still not fixed, and I really want to make it as usable as possible, so all opinions are welcome.

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

grigsoft wrote:Atomhrt,
What do you mean by not "mouse friendly"? I thought it could be not so keyboard friendly, but generally you can do most operations with ledd mouse clicks, than it was before.
And don't worry about my reaction - interface is still not fixed, and I really want to make it as usable as possible, so all opinions are welcome.
Well, to open the "Start dialog" after a Preview/Synchronize, you have to move the mouse up to the far left to File, Select Folders... option, or to the "Show dialog" button.

Also, on the old version you had all these nice buttons along the right-hand of the Search results window that, to me, just seems perfect.

One thing that you might do to improve your new version, is to add for a right-click of the mouse anywhere on the Results panel, to bring up the "Start dialog" screen.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, old design didn't allow to switch to Start Dialog without losing the list at all. Right mouse click will display menu, but this is probably good chioce for middle button. Or I can make it optional. THere will be also shortcut (F5 is planned) to show StartDialog.

bertrand_liu

Alternative interface for start dialog

Post by bertrand_liu »

Alternative interface for start dialog is much better.
Though there is still an unknow icon stay at the right hand of Files:

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

This is Exclude Files option, may be I will change it to checkbox also.

G. Durand

Post by G. Durand »

For me, both Start interface are correct. May be without icons, it's easier when you use the program accasionnally. But, after a while and several uses you know exactly which icon to use.
Just a small problem, how to switch between the 2 interfaces ?

Gerard

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In fact I was not going to make it switchable. And I think there is no reason in fact. Having option to switch to another interface is cool, but I think it would be just another option to distract users' attention from task.

andyr

Interface Preference

Post by andyr »

The newer interface is far better than the "happy button" interface. It is far more intuitive and informative.
Especially from an end user support perspective, you don't won't to spend ages describing the look of buttons over the phone. Labels are good!
andyr

Heinz Schmidt

Post by Heinz Schmidt »

I like the newer interface (with checkboxes instead of buttons) much more because its more informative and easier to use.
And I think there is no need to make it swichable between a button- and a checkboxes-version.

Gerrit

New interface

Post by Gerrit »

Hi,

And I do like the "happy button" interface better. It allows me to quickly scan the settings of the different comparing options, without having to start reading. In my work (I calculate) I do a lot of backing up. Not having to read, but to be able to check the settings, means a more efficient use of my time.

Gerrit

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, Gerrit! In fact that is what I was betting for - ability to quickly scan. But it seems that most people do like checkbox better. Maybe I will make 2 editions.

ewall

Love the new interface

Post by ewall »

As for the checkbox vs drop-downs question discussed above, I agree that for infrequent users the drop-downs are far superior. For power users, the drop-downs retain their settings from the previous run (just like the old checkboxes), for the just-like-the-last-run hit; for all others the ability to save Sessions is great.

One little picky, new interface suggestion: the "Browse for Folder"/"Archive|FTP|Package" button next to the Source and Target directory blanks is bit hard to hit right with the mouse... I'd kinda prefer that the "..." part of the "Browse..." button be wider to it's easier to click. YMMV...

Gerrit

Love the new interface

Post by Gerrit »

Hi grigsoft,

I would think there is no need to develop two interfaces! The drop-down boxed version is surely acceptable and as suggested "the drop-downs retain their settings from the previous run". The program offers a whole range of customisations and that should satisfy any power-user.

I took a second look at the new interface it and like to comment on it. I like the expandable UI and overall it is an improvement over the last one. Still I think it is rather messy. It would probably greatly improve if you would right align all drop-down boxes and in a second step align the buttons related to these dropdown boxes as well. Moving the two colourful buttons to the left of their drop-down boxes will probably help use space more efficiently.

Do you think it is possible to make the UI use the fontsetting that the user has defined under his Windows’ display properties? You should reserve some extra space since I believe most users use this to improve readability on screens with a big resolution. (I personally use Verdana 8 for this reason).

Kind regards, Gerrit