Synchronize It! 3.0

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.

Do you like new interface of SI 3.0?

Yes, it is better than old one
80%
It is not bad, but I was expecting more
13%
No, I will stick with the old version
7%

Total votes: 15

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, isn't your font is used in Start dialog? In fact it should use your Windows settings. Or do you mean results list?

Gerrit

Love the new interface

Post by Gerrit »

Hi,

I mean the start dialog. The one that starts with the boxes 'Source' and 'Target' and all the settings for a campare. Its font appears to be MS Sans Serif. The title bar seems to be Verdana, as well as the menubar in the preview window.

I use 1.0.754

Indeed I realise that I can define the font for the file listing in the settings.

Gerrit

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hello,
Am I missing something? How do you change default Windows font? I don't see this option in Display/Appearance

Gerrit

Post by Gerrit »

Hi,

Depends on your Windows version. Win XP has an advanced button. Under W98 it is more easily accessible if I remember well.

Actually Windows allows you to define a lot of it's appearance under the Appearance-tab of the Display Properties. You can define how your desktop looks. But you can define also with what fonts all the Program Windows are displayed.

Much software takes these user-customisations in account. Yours too, at least to some extend: If I define a strange and big font for 'Active Tile Bar' the title of your winsync3.exe is also displayed using this font. Your compiler might support this for the Interface Text as well.

Hope this was usefull.. Gerrit

G.Durand

Winsin3 UI bugs

Post by G.Durand »

Bugs with (my) Windows XP Pro - SP2.
Two display bugs (already there in previous version 912) :
The first icon (Show start dialog) is not always at the leftmost place. There is a small offset (1 ou 2 pixels) so the under window is not completly masked. If I resize the WinSin3 windows by dragging its left edge this problem sometimes disappears, but not always...
In the Start Window, the two tabs "Standard" and "Projects" do not appear correctly. The one which is activated is white, the other is gray. Both have no text inside.
Those two bugs are only on my XP Pro configuration. I tried WinSin3 on two other computers, one with windows Me and the other with Windows 2000 without these bugs.
Two other small bugs (on all systems) :
In the button bar, the green button is correctly identified ("Copy to target files only") but I think the blue one is not ("Copy to Target files only" : just a t replaced by a T ! probably should be "Copy to source files only").
The button with a red cross has no identifier (in ballon or in the bottom staus bar).
A suggestion :
The 2 tools "Open" and "copy to" should appear (also) by a right button mouse click as a context menu when the filename is in bold characters.

G.D.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for report!
Most you have described will be fixed. Projects tab probably will be removed at all - seems like a lot of people don't like it.

As for popup menu, it will include all Tools (including system), just as in 2.x.

Bud G

Pro's and Con's

Post by Bud G »

Let me preface this by saying that I have only been using the product for a short time.

I like both versions. However, I like the new look and feel better. It is more XPish and less DOSish. It appears to have all the same functinality and uses just a little more space.

It doesn't look like you have sacrificed anything, just gained a new look and feel. :D

Bud G

whoops!

Post by Bud G »

Sorry to hear about the Projects tab. I have found to be quite helpful.

I hope you don't lose that functionality entirely! :(

?? What? Are you dropping project support?

Post by Guest »

grigsoft wrote:Thank you for report!
Most you have described will be fixed. Projects tab probably will be removed at all - seems like a lot of people don't like it.
2.x.
Does this mean you are dropping support for Projects???? Please tell me it isn't so -- that is one of the single best features (in my opinion), and one that I use on a daily basis.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, of course Projects will remain. Just choosing/editing approach would be changed - currently I just could not find good form for it.

ahbrown41

Post by ahbrown41 »

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to playing with the new version some more.

I hope your hard drive is working out. Never a good thing to go wrong....

Is there any chance we will see a tree view some day :-)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

In fact I'm not going to improve list from it's state in current alpha anymore (well, almost). I have played with multiple different tree lists in competing products and I don't see how it helps in our sync task. I will add additional tools for quick navigation, like files and folders quick search, folders structure overview and few more, I think this would be good compensation.

ahbrown41

Post by ahbrown41 »

Ok, I do see what you mean. The tree thing is not that important.

Here are some other ideas:
1) Threaded so the sync screen stays refreshed with the current status. Perhaps a priority setting as well...
2) Resource authentication for network backup locations
3) Highly unlikely by an incremental backup algorithm like rsync.
3) Ability to specify ignore/include files (A file with the items to ignore etc)

Keep up the good work!

ahbrown41

Post by ahbrown41 »

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you, I will check this.