Build 1.0.1131 Comments and ideas :)

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
ravensOrb

Build 1.0.1131 Comments and ideas :)

Post by ravensOrb »

This new UI is looking a lot more promising :)

Couple of comments:

1) Can you set it up so that the "start" screen shows up again when I exit out of the compare window? I really liked how that behavior. Made it easy to "close" a sync session and start again
2) Please make sure you suppose UNC paths. I use this tool a LOT for sync'ing folders between my machine and remote servers
3) Hitting the DEL key on a "folder" should mark all containg files as "to be deleted"
4) It would be nice to have a "expand all"/"contract all" menu option or right click.
5) At the folder level, have a visual indicator (maybe a count) of the number of files that are modified/new/deleted/etc
6) The project concept still needs a little work :) I really likes the way the current version works. Having Sessions and then grouping the sessions into projects was a great idea. It would also be great to allow for "duplicating" a session/product
7) It would be awesome if you supported "tokens" in the pages. For example, I would like to have one config file between several systems, that would allow me to keep all of the systems in sync. Right now, I need to create a product for each computer because of the computer name in the UNC path. It would be great if I could use environment variables or something like that.
8) For UNC based operations, it would be great if you suppose the NT user name/password dialog prompt to initiate the connection to the remote share if it does not currently exist.

Ok, that about covers my wish list for now :-D Keep up the great work, I use both of your current apps almost every day :)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for your detailed feedback!

1. In fact I hoped to get rid of the old window concept. I know new one feels different, but it is more close to standard. Still, maybe I will make an option for this.

2.-6. All these are planned in some way or another

7. Such "Tokens" will be supported in some way. At least this would be enviroment variables, additionaly there will be some config file with data like Var1=d:\mypath\. The most complex issue is with ability to quickly edit it visually, whil ein start dialog, or define it for unattended project run.

ravensOrb

Post by ravensOrb »

Excellent news :)

How about adding a "hot key" to bring up the start dialog (there may already be one and I forgot to look).

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, in fact it should be F5, but it doesn't work for some reason :) I will fix it - good keyboard layout is one of the advantages of my programs (or at least it should be)

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

grigsoft wrote:Thank you for your detailed feedback!

1. In fact I hoped to get rid of the old window concept. I know new one feels different, but it is more close to standard. Still, maybe I will make an option for this.
I agree with ravensOrb that I liked the old behavior. The new method requires that I call up the Start window after every preview and update or sync. I think that your intention is that the same two paths would be used over and over, and then all the user would have to do is click the Syncronize button. But I rarely use Syncronize It in this way.

What is the "old window concept"? Do you mean having two separate windows? If so, then can the two windows be made into one??

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, I might be missing something in your point. As "Old windows" I'm refering to StartDialog-FileList relations. To close application from file list you had to close list, thus getting to Start, and close Start to quit. New approach is standard windows application, when FileList is a main window, and Start can be opened for processing. In new approach you can open StartDlg without losing the list, what I'm considering as a big plus.

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

grigsoft wrote:Hmm, I might be missing something in your point. As "Old windows" I'm refering to StartDialog-FileList relations. To close application from file list you had to close list, thus getting to Start, and close Start to quit. New approach is standard windows application, when FileList is a main window, and Start can be opened for processing. In new approach you can open StartDlg without losing the list, what I'm considering as a big plus.
Ok, I think I understand now, and you and I are talking about the same two windows and their relationship.

So, can the StartDlg and the FileList reside in one window?

Otherwise, it would be nice to have an Option for bringing up the StartDlg window after the Syncronize button is pushed. Perhaps next to the "No confirmations" checkbox and label? This checkbox I would probably leave checked more often than not checked.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Keeping this two in one window would be nice, but it willtake too much space. Maybe I will ad this as an option tor large resolutions though.

As for option to display Start after Sync is done, I will think about it. Maybe this does make some sense as an intermediate step for long time users of old version,

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

grigsoft wrote:Keeping this two in one window would be nice, but it willtake too much space. Maybe I will ad this as an option tor large resolutions though.

As for option to display Start after Sync is done, I will think about it. Maybe this does make some sense as an intermediate step for long time users of old version,
Ok, thanks.

It just occured to me why this is important to me. I *always* preview before copying. *Even* if I am sure of what file or files have changed. I really like to be safe before syncing, and will 99.9% of the time preview the sync first. I know it sounds like a waste of energy, but I am very cautious with my files.

ravensOrb

Post by ravensOrb »

I agree -- I to am EXTREMELY cautious before sync'ing -- better to be safe than sorry :)

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

The same thing is with me, in fact this is what SyncIt was about - but I don't understand how returning to StartDlg help you to preview?

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

grigsoft wrote:The same thing is with me, in fact this is what SyncIt was about - but I don't understand how returning to StartDlg help you to preview?
The StartDlg is the only screen that I know of that has the Preview button, correct???

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Hmm, yes, and what is the problem? There is no way to start syncing without preview, this is main point for SI anyway.

Atomhrt

Post by Atomhrt »

grigsoft wrote:Hmm, yes, and what is the problem? There is no way to start syncing without preview, this is main point for SI anyway.
I give up. We are going in circles.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

:)) Yes, sorry