Projects wont run

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
synchronize it tester

Projects wont run

Post by synchronize it tester »

I have one among all the other sessions which compares a net-drive, which is not always available. I dont execute that session unless i know the drive is online. but the problem is: no other project would run, even if that session isnt contained in it. The displayed error is: folder is not valid! %s Do you want to create it. Answers are yes or no, but none of the leads to an iprovement. How can it be that this session disturbs even if it isnt executed?

everything else ist superfine

synchronize it tester

performance

and im also forced to say, that the old version 2.82 ist about 5 times faster on local comparisons, tested with exactly the same projects

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for report! I will check out what could be wrong.

As for speed, I could only suggest you try running version 3 after version 2 - file searching engine is same, but system caching affects speed significantly.

synchronize it tester

Another Thing

Thank you for the reply. You were right with the caching, after execution of 2, 3 ran at approximately the same speed.

Another question: Does "Smartsync" work already or is it just placed in there for future releases? Im trying to use it on three sessions and it neither creates an index file nor prompts nor works in any way different to "synchronize".

Again, thanks for all replies and the GREAT program you made.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

No, SmartSync is just a place-holder for future (probably next) update.

Re: Projects wont run

Post by Guest »

synchronize it tester wrote:I have one among all the other sessions which compares a net-drive, which is not always available. I dont execute that session unless i know the drive is online. but the problem is: no other project would run, even if that session isnt contained in it. The displayed error is: folder is not valid! %s Do you want to create it. Answers are yes or no, but none of the leads to an iprovement. How can it be that this session disturbs even if it isnt executed?

everything else ist superfine
I have the same problem. In my case it is a memory card reader drive. If it is not present the program shows the error as mentioned above. However, the problem appears only when one of the default directories (those appearing under <<new>> session) contains non existing drive. All other sessions individually work fine but if you try to run any project the error appears. I found the way around it by keeping a spare "working" copy of the winsync3.ini file and whenever I get an error I overwrite the new ini file and it works fine again. That way I do not need to loose all my sessions and projects. I am sure it is something quite simple. Perhaps the program saves the last directories in ini file and when it runs again in project mode it tries to access first those directories before it runs the project. I don't know.

Adam.

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

I found the way around it by keeping a spare "working" copy of the winsync3.ini file and whenever I get an error I overwrite the new ini file and it works fine again.
What-if you compared those 2 files with Compare It! before copying, to see what the real diffs are... :?

HTH
TonHu

Post by Guest »

TonHu wrote:
What-if you compared those 2 files with Compare It! before copying, to see what the real diffs are... :?

HTH
TonHu
Well, I did but there were a number of differences and none of them on their own would fix the problem. For your information the differences are in [Combos] section (all Combo_Start values) and in Options (Flags, Src, Dst, SFlags). I found it quicker not to look too much into ini file :wink:
Anyway, if it happens again I can post the differences.

Adam.

Post by Guest »

The problem of Projects not running happens with the following ini file values:

[Combos]
Combo_StartSrc!=1
Combo_StartDst!=4
Combo_StartSrc1=&<X:\Adam\Private>
Combo_StartDst4=&<F:\Private>
[Options]
Src=X:\Adam\Private
Dst=F:\Private

The drive which does not exist is F:\.
However I have noticed that program would revert to these values even if I change them manually to some existing directory. For example:

[Combos]
Combo_StartSrc!=1
Combo_StartDst!=4
Combo_StartSrc1=&<X:\Adam\Private>
Combo_StartDst4=&<C:\Private>
[Options]
Src=X:\Adam\Private
Dst=C:\Private

I have also noticed that these directories happen to be defined as my last session and this is where the problem is coming from.
Now, If I add another session with directories Src=C:\ and Dst=C:\ this solves the issue as C:\ drive always exists and the program does not complain in Project mode any more. There is still a bug though.

Adam.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you all! It seems that programs tries to verify last session settings when Project is used. I will fix this.

synchronize it tester

Sorting

Hi admin, another problem again,

i seem to have the problem that after synchronizing folders their sorting settings seem to get reset,
im using win xp and have different folders sorted in different ways, some by details, some in thumb sorting, some by name and some by type and so on.
i think that maybe sync it resets it, because after syncing they are reset.

could you check this please

thanx

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

These settings are stored in special hidden file (not sure about the name, not in XP at the moment). If you copy/delete it during sync - settings will be changed/lost. But I will check it, thank you.