First Reactions to 3.0

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
Dan Essin

First Reactions to 3.0

Post by Dan Essin »

I've been using the 2.8 version for about 6 months. It has taken a while to understand all of the options and their interactions but everything is visible in the UI and the operation is straight forward.

In 3.0 things strike me as chaotic and confused.
1 - Under Sessions, there is a <<new>> item but clicking it does nothing and you can't rename it - so its purpose is unclear.
2 - Between the source and destination fields there are 3 buttons (down, up-down, and up). There is also a combo labeled Action. If the 3 buttons are supposed to indicate the nature of the sync, then
a) why is there an action combo?
b) why are the 2 fields labeled source and destination? It would seem that clicking the up arrow would make the first field the destination, clicking the down arrow would make the second field the destination and the middle button would do a 2-way sync in which case source and destination are meaningless.
3 - Some of the options in 2.8 seem useful but appear to be missing from 3.0 like delete empty folders, New files only, etc.
4 - I presume that Sessions save automatically but it is not clear.
5 - Filter and Exclude are check boxes but should be radio buttons because they are mutually exclusive.
6 - Ditto for Matched Only and Orphans Only
7 - I think I like "Scan" or "Perform Comparison" better than "Preview"
8 - Startup is a Modal Dialog. There should be a way to get to "Settings" from Startup.

Overall my impression is that, although it will take some getting used to, the new version will probably represent an improvement. I think the startup dialog could be organized a bit better and would be easier to use if the "advnaced" options were displayed all of the time instead of having to reveal them in order to use them or to see if their state.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you for your comments. You are right, new version has different approach so it wouyld take some time to get used to it. Functionality will not suffer - just some options are reorganized. Ex., "New Files only" become "Orphans only" etc.
Those 3 arrow buttons are in fact just helpers to quickly copy\exchange folders.
Some checkboxes are not radio butons because there can be none selected.

larrycai

Post by larrycai »

I am new to SI, and feels it works quite different with other MS app.

Agree with Dan
1. <<new session>> looks stranage, and I don't know who to save it (auto seems.

2. the session seems some problem to me, several sessions are available (right column), but I can't copy (use <<) to middle column, which is supposed to be added into project in left column.

3. I didn't notice the session icon first. not so visible.

4. New session shall be in the menu, like

New project to sync. -> new session/add session into project.

5. suggest to add right-button click in explorer, so it is simple for user to initiate a new session.

anyway , I like it. hope i can see 3.0 soon.

mail larry.cai AT gmail.com