bugs

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.
Ivan Petrovic

bugs

Post by Ivan Petrovic »

hello igor,

1.i dont know whether its a bug but FTP connections are not stored and password shouldnt be left in clear text

2. if i try to sync a project and in the session or folder pane a folder or item is selected which either is not reachable or somehow erroneous, project sync asks whether i want to create it though it doesnt contain that erroneous item

i have updated the german dictionary, you can find it here

http://home.arcor.de/goivan/fs/open/Deutsch.dic

Ivan Petrovic

Post by Ivan Petrovic »

oh and if doubleclicking on sessions and projects could execute them it would be a great advantage

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you! I will handle it.

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

@ Ivan Petrovic

Good idea (double click on sessions and projects)! And thanks for the German language file.

When studying the latter I recognised a tiny inconsistency. In menu "Filters" one finds "Source only" and "Target only" and "Source and Target only" - hm, what does "only" mean here?

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Well, maybe it is not a good word choice here. These filters are for:
files found only in source;
files found only in target;
files found in both source and target, skipping files which were found on once side only..

Ivan Petrovic

Post by Ivan Petrovic »

hello

im glad you could use it

its really a bad choice and i constantly improve the terms

what i meant was only files that are in both, like admin said it

i will try to come up with a less confusing term

Ivan Petrovic

Post by Ivan Petrovic »

Hello,

there is some problem with the "handle empty folders" option

when i leave it on syncit doesnt show some different files after scan and instead shows some files that are same, sometimes the program just crashes without notification

i didnt get behind it yet, but id say it doesnt work properly

and that first bug from my first post is really bugging bad, with the unavailable folders selected but not executed

ya_shin

Post by ya_shin »

I also seem to have trouble with the "Handle empty folders" function.

While most presented results are correct and can be synchronzed properly, so far I have noticed two kinds of errors:

Two empty folders (same folder empty on both drives) are shown, but in addition a file is shown to exist in one of them, suggested to be copied to the other one, which is actually located in a different folder. Of course, upon trying to copy the file the programs reports "file not found".

On one side a "correct" folder is shown, with two files suggested to copy to the other side. However, the folder on the other side appears to be at a different location, yet the content with the different size/date is still shown to be there.
Source\Subfolder A\Subfolder 1 vs. Target\Subfolder 1
(Subfolder A is added by the program and the Source path does actually not exist, it should match the Target path.)

Hope I could describe it clear enough.

grigsoft wrote:Hmm, I will check it, but I don't see how this could happen.

As for wrong folders, can you make some examples, except for \\server\ and flash\cd drive?
I am synchronizing "mapped" network drives. So, while I enter drive T: as the source, it actually is \\server\source.

By asking for examples "except for \\server\ and flash\cd drive?" that those cases would be likely to create problems with handling empty folders?
grigsoft wrote:Ivan,
Are you sure the problem is with "Handle empty folders"? How do you see that something is wrong?
I narrowed it down the the "Handle empty folders" funtion by testing both ways. When it is turned on, I get the faulty results, but after I turn it off the comparison list shows proper results as I am used to it from version 2.86.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Thank you! It seems that there maybe some severe problem when handling nested folders. Can you make snapshots of both folders, where your have narrowed a problem? You can make a snapshot by syncing folder into new snapshot file.

Ivan Petrovic

Post by Ivan Petrovic »

ok, i already expected that one to be hard to explain

assume i synced a folder with an archive ad hoc, so no session saved or nothing like that

after that i delete that archive or move it to another location

then i swap to projects and want to sync a project which is perfectly ok, available, reachable, no problems in it

THEN syncit asks me wheter i want to create that archive since it wasnt found

but that particular sync task has nothing to do with the archive, that archive only remained in the dropdown list of the first taskpane

as for archives, it also doesnt work with normal folders or servers

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Ivan, are you using latest version? I thought I have fixed that. I will check again.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yep, you are right, I will fix it.

ya_shin

Post by ya_shin »

grigsoft wrote:Thank you! It seems that there maybe some severe problem when handling nested folders. Can you make snapshots of both folders, where your have narrowed a problem? You can make a snapshot by syncing folder into new snapshot file.
Will do so tomorrow.

Since I am not familiar with that snapshot file feature, I'll probably have to resort to regular screenshots, highlighting the found problems somehow. I will then send you the two images to the the support e-mail address.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

That would help too.
But first try syncing your folder into c:\folder1.pck file :), it is not that difficult.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Ivan, you can get an update.