Sorting option removed from Synchronize it! version 3.0.1209

Discussion of new Synchronize It! version.

Sorting option removed from Synchronize it! version 3.0.1209

Post by guest »

Synchronize it! version 3.0.1209:
The sorting of sessions has been removed - for user with many sessions this makes the choice of session remarkably inconvenient compared to 2.82 version, where you could manually sort the sessions. The session order in this version 3 is practically impossible to change even with an external text editor because of the structure of wndsync.ini.

Any possibility to restore the sorting option (at least manually)? (or have I missed something?)

emeritus

Post by emeritus »

This inconvenient lack of sorting option is valid for projects, too, not only for sessions.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Yes, sessions\projects reordering will be back in next update.

MKairys

Post by MKairys »

In the meantime, as was noted here, you can edit the .ini file...

emeritus

Post by emeritus »

It were easy to do if there weren't the numbering of session headers. Changing the place of session in the init file does not do anything, and changing the number of session header makes some other session invisible. To fix this means tens of times of manual renumbering in long lists if the item to be transported belongs to the beginning of the ini-file. And in addition it seems to mess up the list in other ways, too, changing the names of sessions. Like Wilhelm said [sorry that I missed that thread], not convenient at all - and in long lists which change relatively often, it is practically impossible. - If you know some easier way to do it, please tell me.

P.S. As a matter of fact incrementing all session numbers at once can be done with extremely capable Search&Replace -program http://www.funduc.com/ which can do multiline replacements & numerical calculations by defining search string as \[Session*[0-9] and replace string as \[Session%1>> but it is yet not at all elegant enough, and I am not sure which difficulties ensue, among them Sessions= row must be changed and God knows what else.

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

emeritus wrote: and changing the number of session header makes some other session invisible.
As far as I can see, the only important thing with the re-numbering is that there are no duplicate numbers. But this trivial. And THIS is what makes the procedure so unconvenient, if you must do it by hand. Depends on how many sessions you have defined. With my 4 or 5 sessions, it's not that difficult.

emeritus

Post by emeritus »

Even if not duplicate numbers, it changes in certain circumstances procedure names. I am experimenting just now with 50 sessions, and need still more!

TonHu

Post by TonHu »

Mwoah, I only have 57 projects, and 223 sessions, so I won't considder renumbering any time soon ;-)

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

However, I'm pretty shure that a sorting option within the program will do nothing else than re-number the sessions. Want to bet?

:wink:

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Beware, you can lose :) I'm ready to add tree-like organizing, but in it's current state it will be unusable anyway - too small space for it. I have to think it over again.

MKairys

Post by MKairys »

grigsoft wrote:...tree-like organizing...
Well, that will be wonderful!

Post by Guest »

grigsoft wrote:Beware, you can lose :)
Sometimes it's fine to loose! :D

But nevertheless - I did not talk about the realisation of sorting within the program. Tree-like organising would be great, of course, and convenient too. But I bet that the effect will be that the sessions in the ini file are simply re-numbered and nothing else. Same as can be done manually, but with much sweat :wink: .

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

Aah, that's right, nothing will be invented here.

grigsoft
Site Admin

Post by grigsoft »

OK, I have uploaded version with sortable sessions\projects.

MKairys

Post by MKairys »

Wow, that was quick! Be careful we don't all come to expect such service :)

P.S. it works great!